He was, Rahimahu Allah, Abu Abdullah Muhammad ibn Saleh ibn Muhammad ibn al-Uthaymeen at-Tamimi an-Najdi. Sh. Uthaymeen, as he was most known, was born in the city of Unayzah, Qaseem Region, Saudi Arabia, on 27th Ramadhan 1347H in a famous religious family.
He got his education from many prominent scholars like Sheikh ‘Abdur-Rahmaan ibn Naasir as-Sa’di (1307H – 1376H), Sheikh Muhammad Ameen ash-Shanqeeti (1325H – 1393H), and Sheikh Abdul-Azeez Bin Baz (1330H – 1420H), along with many more.
When he entered into teaching, a great number of students from inside and outside Saudi Arabia benefited from him. He was known for his own unique style of interpretation and explanation of religious points. He is from among those scholars who served Islam without any type of religious prejudice and kept themselves away from the limitations of blind-following. He is distinguished in his great exertion of effort in religious matters and analogical deductions which clearly prove the religious understanding he possessed, and the correct usage of the principles of religion he adopted.
Along with Sh. Nasiruddin Albaani (d. 1420H), Sh. Abdul-Azeez Bin Baz (d. 1420H), and Sheikh Muqbil ibn Haadi al-Waadi’i (d. 1422H), are the era of 1400H top Ahlu Sunnah scholars so far, although many more deserve to be mentioned in the strive for this Diin of Islam also, such as Sh. Abdullah ibn Abdur-Rahman al-Jibreen, Sh. Saeed ibn Ali ibn Wahf Al-Qahtaani, Dr. Saleh ibn Fawzan ibn Abdullah Al-Fawzan, Sh. Muhammad bin Jameel Zainoo, Sh. Muhammad Saleh Al-Munajjid, Sh. Saifur-Rahman Mubarakpooree, among others. In giving religious verdicts, Sh. Uthaymeen Fataawa (i.e, rulings/verdicts) are based on the Manhaj of Ahlu Sunnah wal Jamaa’ah which is evidenced from Qur’an and Sunnah. He has about fifty compilations to his credit. Recently before his death, he was teaching religious Fundamentals at the Sharee’ah Faculty of Imam Muhammad ibn Sa’ud Islamic University, Qaseem Branch. He was also a member of the Senior Scholars Committee of the Kingdom, and was the Imaam and Khateeb of the big Mosque of Unayzah city.
Among his well-known works in Da’wah:
• Tafsir Ayatul Kursi.
• Sharh Riyadh Saleheen.
• Musdhalihah Hadeeth.
• Kitab ul Ilm.
• Qawaa’id Muthla fi Sifaati Allah wa Asmaa’ihil Husna.
• Aqeedah Ahlu Sunnah wal Jamaa’ah.
• Sharh Usool Thalaathah.
• Qawl Mufiid ala Kitab Tawhid.
• Sharh Usool Iman.
• Sharh Lum’atul I’tiqad.
• Sharh Aqeedatu Waasiti.
• Sharh al-Mumti’ ala zaadil Mustaqni’.
• Fataawa Arkan Islam.
• Majmoo’ Fataawa on many topics of Islamic Aqeedah and Fiqh. Sh. Uthaymeen’s works can be found comprehensively at: Sh. Uthaymeen was famous for his simplicity, modesty, along with exceptional mannerisms towards all those he encountered, as well as his exceptional mannerisms in approach to topics free of dogmatic arguments. He is among the pre-eminent scholars of the era after 1400H. Sh. Uthaymeen passed away on Wednesday 15 Shawwal, 1421H. He was buried in Makkah along with his peers among the scholars Sh. Bin Baz, while Sh. Muqbil ibn Haadi al-Waadi’i